Wednesday, January 1, 2014

And Then it Snowed...

So in my last post I mentioned how gorgeously warm and sunny it was....and then it snowed. Yeppers, I walked the dog at 5:30 this morning and then went back to bed. When I got up again, it had snowed. Not a lot, but snow nonetheless. That's Colorado for you, and just one of the many reasons why I love living here. 

Now at the beginning of the school year I decided to try something fun with my very old, very cool teacher's desk. I'm not even sure how old this desk is. It was given to me by someone who retired over 15 years ago and would have been thrown out had I not taken it. It is without question one of the coolest teachers' desks out there. It is very heavy, solid wood, and has pull out work boards on both the left and right sides. (A constant source of amazement for my students.) Also, very tricky is the fact that when the middle drawer (your legs sit below it) is pushed all the way in all of the other drawers lock. LOVE IT!!

The only bad part was the finish was starting to peel and chip, so rather than refinish it or get some new fangled metal thing, I decided to cover it. I had purchased dry erase peel-and-stick paper from our wonderful local teachers' store Knowledge Bound (check them out!) the year before and had a bunch of it left, so I got crafty. 

I covered the entire top with the dry erase paper and then decorated the edges with colorful duct tape. The front part that shows (some is hidden by the file cabinet) and the end that shows have graph paper and a fun border. I love it. My students love writing on it when we are working through a problem together. And best of all, it brought new life to an old, well-loved desk. 





No comments:

Post a Comment